Ok, so I'm half Guatemalan and totally pregnant which means my pregnancy cravings (mis antojitos to you bilingual peeps) are pretty much for the simpleness of Guatemalan yummies! This craving (the most persistent yet, further intensified by wait time...read on) was for chicharrones. Yes, I'm craving fried pork skins. If you haven't tried it you don't know. Anywho...I set out on my quest for chicharrones Tuesday of last week. No luck finding them in Mexican stores throughout Utah County...ok so I only checked one, whatever. This week the hunt was on!!!! Monday, we went food shopping and I was so tired afterward that I didn't make it to the Mexican store on 1400 North to see if the had any. Tuesday, I went to said store and they told me the chicharrones would arrive by 4 o'clock. At 5pm, I went back to that store and lo and behold, NO CHICHARRONES. The lady who makes them didn't come in but will have them by opening tomorrow. Ok, Wednesday now. At approx. 10 a.m. I strap Gideon into his stroller and make my way to the store (they had two bags left and I told them to save me one and I would pick it up pronto!). I get to the store and the lady there gives me Mexican chicharrones...not pork rinds. Mexican ones are basically called chicharrones de harina or made of flour. Anyway, NOT the fatty goodness the "baby" (yes, me) wants to experience.
Well, by now I'm totally determined to get me some chicharrones one way or another. If I have to raise a pig myself and make them, I will have them!!! So I check at the largest Mexican store in Logan...with false promises of having them on Friday or Saturday I go to the meat counter and ask when they will have more: "Oh, we don't sell those here!" GRRRRR!!!!
I have one last chance, and I've been promised I will find them at Rita's Panaderia y Pasteleria. With hopes held at bay, I quickly take Gideon into the store to face my final disappointment...wait! What's that at the back??? Could it be? Really? YES! Finally!!! Chicharrones!!!! I bought myself a half pound of just skins and a half pound with meat too. Gideon and I enjoyed our well-deserved lunch of minced chicharrones, lemon (didn't have a lime), salt, tortillas, and avocado. Take that craving!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
You are so cute! I loved your post, it totally cracked me up.
That will be a craving story to remember.
Post a Comment