Sunday, September 12, 2010

Happy 90th Birthday, Grandpa!

This weekend Colin, Gideon, and I joined with the rest of my Petersen side in celebrating my grandfather's 90th birthday. It was such a joyful experience and one I am thankful to be able to be a part of. My grandpa has always been someone I not only care deeply about but look up to and admire. He is such a great example of patience, service, and love. He is also so FUNNY! I remember many times he would ask Heather, Patrick, and I to rub his feet for $1! It wasn't the most pleasant, but we did it anyway because we love him...and we got $1 to use at the Hinckley gas station!

Some of my favorite memories of Grandpa Petersen are playing dimes at his house, listening to him recite "I Used to Kill Birds In My Boyhood," singing songs with him, and listening for those all-too familiar sayings of his.

A lesson I learned from my Grandpa:

We were coming to visit him one day and as we walked in the door he said, "Well, who's that?" (One of his all-too-familiar sayings! He knows who we are!) I said hi and went to kiss him but noticed he had been eating Oreos...grandpa always ends up with Oreo all over! Well, as I went in for the kiss, I turned my head so his kiss would land on my cheek but he just grabbed my face, kissed me on the lips, and said "You don't turn your cheek to your grandpa!" I haven't since!

We love you, Grandpa and we treasure the legacy you continue to leave for the Petersen family!

No comments: