Anyway, the point I was trying to make: Gideon doesn't like food. He likes candy, chips, unhealthy drinks...you get the point. But feeding the kid has gotten me worried a few times...especially since he averages anywhere from the 2nd to 7th percentile in weight. Anyway, I've tried lots of things: fun food cutouts, sauces, dipping, using toothpicks to pick up food, you name it. One day he'll like it, the next he won't have anything to do with it.
Well, today for lunch I sorta gave up. I wanted to satisfy my craving for Guatemalan comfort food: black beans, scrambled eggs, queso fresco, and tortillas. It sounds weird, but believe me it's delicious. When Colin was working with a bunch of Hispanic guys the summer before we were married, he called me one day and said he thought it was so wonderful to see these guys bring this kind of meal to work because it was so simple but so satisfying. Then he asked me how to make it...I just kinda laughed at him. ;)
So I make our lunch while Gideon is busy destroying my house (heehee). I serve him half a bowl of black beans, half a bowl of eggs, a slice of queso fresco, and a tortilla thinking "oh well, at least I can eat his leftovers!" HE LOVED IT!!!! He ate the whole thing minus two tablespoons and was still picking at at it when he said he was "done".
I'm just so happy that my Guatemalan baby is showing some of his Latino side!!! Tomorrow I'm going to try ejote con huevo and see if he likes that!!!! (A lot of eggs, I know, but that's what it's like in third world countries...you can't afford meat every night)
So here are some pictures:




1 comment:
That sounds delicious! I think black beans are SO yummy and flavorful. Aren't kids and eating so frustrating, mysterious, exasperating...you can fill in the blank? Ug.
Post a Comment